Free Markets. Real Solutions.
Government Affairs Associate
The R Street Institute—a free-market think tank headquartered in Washington, D.C., with regional offices across the country—seeks an energetic government affairs associate to track and analyze federal, state and local legislative and regulatory priorities. If you are the right fit, you will report to the director of state government affairs. If you want to join a young and energetic organization influencing public policy on the ground level, this may be just the opportunity you need.
Your typical day at R Street may include identifying, vetting and tracking legislative and regulatory priorities; interacting with policymakers; and providing administrative support for the government affairs team. You will also be asked to provide research and analysis on state and federal legislation to help R Street craft its engagement strategy.
Aspects of Your Role
- Tracking and analyzing federal, state and local legislative and regulatory priorities
- Managing third-party relationships via a CRM system
- Assisting the state and federal government affairs teams in various ways (i.e. drafting testimony, conducting outreach, tracking government affairs metrics)
- Data entry in support of the government affairs department
- Researching policy proposals, legislative histories and compliance issues
- Internal tracking of staff-specific priorities on a quarterly basis
- Drafting advocacy pieces, including op-eds, talking points and fact sheets, and policy papers relevant to RSI’s policy positions
Skills and Qualifications
- A robust understanding of state legislative and regulatory processes
- 1-2 years of experience in government or government affairs
- Experience working in a state legislature
- Experience manually tracking legislation and using automated tracking systems
- Talented writer and researcher
- Ability to draft written products under tight deadlines
- Passion for free markets and limited, effective government
- Drive to be a highly responsive self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit
- A sense of humor and a desire to grow with a dynamic organization
This is a full-time job based in Washington, D.C., and requires a daily presence in our office. R Street is growing rapidly but remains a close-knit team.
R Street strives to provide a compensation package superior to those at other think tanks and nonprofits. In addition to a competitive salary, we provide a health insurance option entirely paid by the employer (even for families), wellness benefits, an employer-subsidized mobile phone benefit, 401(k) contributions with up to a 4 percent match and an exceptionally generous vacation policy.
R Street does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, era of military service, gender identity, relationship structure or anything else that’s illegal, immoral or stupid to use as a basis for hiring.
We currently plan to accept applications for this job until filled. We will contact ideal individuals for telephone interviews and conduct them on a rolling basis. We will hold in-person interviews in our D.C. office.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://www.rstreet.org/job_posting/government-affairs-associate-2/ →