What they do hate is the military’s unnecessary, unconstitutional, and immoral acts of aggression. Laurence Vance explains:
First and foremost is the claim that antiwar libertarians hate the military. I don’t recall ever writing anywhere that I hated the military. And neither do I remember reading where some other antiwar libertarian said that he hated the military. I hate many things that the military does, and think I have good reasons for doing so, as I mention below. I certainly don’t hate any individual members of the military or any other organization. I can’t speak for all antiwar libertarians, but here are some things I hate about the military:
- I hate the military fighting without a constitutional congressional declaration of war.
- I hate the military garrisoning the planet with bases.
- I hate the military targeting impressionable high school students (thanks to the NCLB act).
- I hate military recruiters lying to potential recruits.
- I hate the military fighting foreign wars.
- I hate the military fighting unjust wars of aggression.
- I hate the military invading and unleashing violence and civil unrest in Iraq and Afghanistan.
- I hate the military bombing and destroying Iraq and Afghanistan.
- I hate the military killing hundreds of thousands of Iraqis and Afghans.
- I hate the military maintaining troops in Germany, Italy, and Japan when World War II ended in 1945.
- I hate the military stationing troops in 150 different regions of the world.
- I hate the military recruiting terrorists and feeding insurgencies by its foreign occupations.
- I hate military chaplains praying with troops before they unleash death and destruction.
- I hate the military doing anything other than actually defending the country.
- I hate the military perpetuating the myth that they are defending our freedoms when the more the troops defend our freedoms the more our freedoms are taken away.
- I hate the military perpetuating the myth that I couldn’t write the things I do if it weren’t for the U.S. military when the truth is I wouldn’t need to write the things I do if it weren’t for the actions of the U.S. military.
Read the rest here.Published in