On November 27th, the Young Americans for Liberty hosted an Economics Debate at Loras College in Dubuque, Iowa.
One of our overall goals for this year was to collaborate with the three other political clubs on our campus in different ways. The three other groups are the College Republicans, College Democrats, and the Young Democratic Socialists. Inspired by the GOP debates of the last election cycle and the Ted Cruz vs. Bernie Sanders debate, we decided to host a debate at the end of November.
We contacted the Economics Club at our school to moderate the debate as well as come up with the questions and debate format so there was no ‘host bias’ coming from our side.
The debate went incredibly well, 56 people attended in total, including 5+ professors, and some community members. The debate itself and turnout was great overall, however there are some ways that we could improve the event next time. They are in a listed below.
1) Post posters around the community
2) Have two set debate prep times
3) Have opening statements and paragraphs for every topic
4) Have a ‘reward’ snack/ dinner after the debate for participants
5) Set up the live stream at a better angle for reflection at a later date
We plan to host another Economics debate in the Spring with the improvements and collaborate in the same way as before.