I’d like to preface by giving you the link to the 2014 International Students For Liberty Conference (ISFLC) here. At this link you will find all the information you’ll need on speakers, registration, lodging, and logistics. This blog will serve as a summary of the most important facts of the event from a YAL Chapter President and SFL Campus Coordinator:
- Who: Students For Liberty, 1600+ pro-liberty students from across the globe, well-known speakers, and partner organizations
- What: International Students For Liberty Conference
- Where: Grand Hyatt Hotel in Downtown Washington, DC
- When: February 14-16
- Why: Learn about liberty from contemporary leaders in liberty, discuss best practices for promoting liberty on campus, get more involved in the larger movement for liberty, and enjoy a massive celebration of freedom.
What to Expect:
- This year’s line up of renowned speakers include: George Ayittey, Ethan Nadelmann, John Allison, Lawrence Reed, David Kelley, David Boaz, Tom Palmer, and many more
- Speakers announced so far can be found here.
- More speakers to be announced as we move closer to the conference.
- For the 4th consecutive year, John Stossel will be at ISFLC for a Friday evening taping of the STOSSEL show.
- Check out last years episode here.
- ISFLC is a chance for you to meet and discuss ideas, business, or just chat with anybody who’s anybody. With over 1600+ students, including 100s of YAL members, you’ll have interesting discussions and opportunities to meet the heart of the liberty movement.
- The networking doesn’t stop with students. Last year ISFLC hosted 60 partner organizations that offer a wealth of opportunities, internships, jobs, and best of all, free stuff!
- This year’s ISFLC will include a Liberty Art Exhibit. See liberty through the eyes of an artist.
- Check out Ama-Gi Magazine here.
- Registration prices vary.
- Standard registration ends December 31. The cost is $35 for general admission and $20 for students.
- Late registration ends February 8. The cost is $50 for general registration and $30 for students.
- International students, West Coast Students (CA, WA, OR, & HI), High School students, and those who join Alumni for Liberty will receive free registration.
- Register here.
- Students For Liberty has once again arranged discounted prices for those wishing to lodge at the Grand Hyatt. Rates will be $175/night. Split amongst 4 people, that’s about $44/night. (Beat that price in downtown DC!)
- Last year the entire hotel was booked over a month before the conference and we expect demand to be even higher this year so make sure
- Reserve a hotel room at the Grand Hyatt Here through the event page
- Rooming with friends in the area is encouraged as well!
- Registration at the conference will open at 1:00pm on Friday, February 14
- Pre-conference breakout sessions taking place at 3:30pm
- Main conference program will begin at 5:00pm that evening
- Saturday’s programming will run from 10:00am until 8:00pm
- The conference will conclude on Sunday at 1:00pm
- More scheduling information will be released closer to the event
- Check out the PDF of last year’s program
A Personal Appeal:
As someone who is relatively new to the liberty movement, I can assure you there is no better place to get your start or advance your work in the liberty movement than ISFLC. SFL and YAL have worked hand in hand over the past few years to spread our message. As someone who has received so much from both organizations I can personally assure you that this event will be valuable to your interests and personal development. Without SFL, I would not have started my YAL chapter.
The skills and ideas I’ve learned from attending SFL events have impacted my education more than anything I’ve learned in the classroom. Ask for lodging and travel funding for Christmas. Pick up some extra hours at work or over the holidays. Hold a fundraiser for your chapter. Petition your student government for funding. No matter how you do it, I urge you to apply today. You’ll never know what it is like to be in the presence of so many like-minded people until you dive into an SFL conference.
Other opportunities from SFL:
- Professional Advancement Fellowship
- Why Liberty
- Free Market Environmentalism Resources
- Internet Freedom Resources
- After the Welfare State
- Past SFL Book Publications
- Fall 2013 SFL Webinar Series
- Ama-Gi Magazine
- Leadership Handbooks